Monday, September 14, 2015

Suffering of Job

Suffering of Job

Not job as in work but a man named Jōb pronounced with a long "o" like "grow".  Have you read the book? I think it is a book worthy of contemplation many times in a lifespan. One's  perspective changes as decades pass and one accumulates his own set of losses and encounters with God. As a result of an argument between God and Satan over Job's righteousness, Job endures unthinkable loss amplified by the ignorant judgements of family and friends. For his trouble he gains an audience with God Almighty whom Job has accused of playing unfair. Job is awed by the grandeur of God and apologizes for complaining.  God then rebukes those who had told Job his suffering was a result of sin. Next he restores Job's fortune twofold and Job has 10 more children to offset the 10 he lost.  The end.

What? The end? It's like one of those movies you wish you hadn't watched. Did I miss something? It's not that my question wasn't answered. It is an answer I didn't want to hear. It's like when a  child ask a parent why they cant do something and the parent answers "because I'm your parent." It does nothing for my curiosity. Yet somehow I know the answer is true. No matter what befalls me, God is good.  Who am I to question God? Shall the clay say to the potter why have you made me into an ash tray?   God's  perspective is eternal. My perspective is temporal. Job's 10 dead children would never return to Job but Job would go to them. To Job they were lost but not to God.
Like Job said, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD."

No comments:

Post a Comment